Link11 DDoS Report: Number of Attacks Doubled in the 1st Quarter 2021
In Q1 2021, attackers continued to exploit the pandemic to attack businesses and their IT infrastructures. In the post-COVID era, DDoS attacks threaten to become the new normal.
Link11, Europe's leading IT security provider in cyber resilience, has released its DDoS report for Q1 2021. The number of DDoS attacks continued to grow, as the report indicates. Between January and March, the Link11 Security Operations Centre (LSOC) recorded more than double the number of attacks than the prior-year period. Thus, the already alarming threat level from cybercrime, which like the COVID-19 virus has been raging in a parallel pandemic since spring 2020, has once again intensified.
The key findings from the report are:
- The number of attacks continued to increase: + 128% increase in the number of attacks than Q1 2020 (factor of around 2.3).
- Attack bandwidths remained high: 216 Gbps maximum in attack volume.
- Increasing use of carpet bombing attacks: Attackers are more and more switching to carpet bombing attacks with small-volume, low-threshold attacks, which remain under the radar of many protection solutions. The hundreds or thousands of small attacks running in parallel can easily add up to a high-volume attack of several tens or hundreds of Gbps and cause an infrastructure to collapse. This is particularly worrisome for hosting and cloud providers.
- Highly dynamic attack tactics: 69% of attacks were multi-vector attacks combining multiple techniques.
- DDoS attackers stick to their target even if they are unsuccessful: 1,489 minutes was the longest attack (>24 h). Without effective protection, long recovery times, which can be twice or three times as long as the actual attack, would still have to be considered.
The attackers increasingly targeted companies that were either in high demand due to the pandemic or had to shift their operations to digital. These included the healthcare sector, public administrations, educational institutions, logistics companies, online retail, media and entertainment companies. However, data center operators, who play a significant role in the digitization of companies, were also under heavy fire. Almost every second DDoS attack (47%) targeted hosting providers and ISPs.
According to analyses by the LSOC, the threat situation is not expected to weaken in the coming months. But the increasing number of attacks and numerous new attack techniques suggest the quality and quantity will remain at this elevated level. Accelerated digitalization in the economy and society offers growing attack surfaces and lets cybercrime boom.
Marc Wilczek, Managing Director of Link11: "The exponential boom in cybercrime will outlast the pandemic. In a post-COVID era, companies and organizations must adapt to a permanently changed threat environment. Against this backdrop, they must reassess the risks of failure for their networked business and production processes."
For more information on the threat landscape, see the full Link11 DDoS Report for Q1 2021, available as a free download.
Stay updated on current DDoS reports, warnings, and news about IT security, cybercrime and DDoS protection.
Follow Link11 on Twitter
https://t.co/AtNMRQvCYI Did you know that 37,9% of internet traffic is made up of bots? Or that 20,4% of that amoun…
7 Retweets 6Read More
The Link11 360° degree DDoS Protection is... ➡️ Smarter: AI-based Whitelisting approach ➡️ Faster: Attack mitigati…
5 Retweets 4Read More
The European Organisation for Safety of Air Navigation revealed new cyber security statistics!…
1 Retweets 3Read More
➡️ Link11 Report discovers record number of DDoS attacks in first half of 2021. 1) DDoS at…
9 Retweets 7Read More
The European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (= ENISA) identified the most common cyber challenges/threats and issu…
5 Retweets 8Read More
⚠️ Have you been the target of a DDoS/ransomware attack, or even an extortion attempt? If this happens, don't worry…
3 Retweets 2Read More
https://t.co/a0lf7SPB37 Want to see more interesting facts, data and insights from the Cyber- & DDoS Attack threats…
15 Retweets 8Read More
❗ ️Warning: New wave of ransom DDoS attacks by Fancy Lazarus! Are you also affected? Don't worry, there are things…
6 Retweets 3Read More
Electronic Arts has suffered a big data breach resulting in hackers getting away with important source code for gam…
1 Retweets 1Read More
https://t.co/HqsAkp4Wk2 Are you passionate/curious about cybersecurity? Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter and sta…
7 Retweets 4Read More